The three state cannabis licensing authorities announced today that businesses with state commercial cannabis licenses expiring between July 1, 2020 and August 31, 2020 may request 60-day deferrals of their license fee payments. This allows for fee deferral financial assistance to be provided to additional licensees.
The license fee deferrals are intended to provide immediate financial assistance to state cannabis licensees impacted by COVID-19. Though deemed an “essential business” under Executive Order N-33-20, the cannabis industry is excluded from federal or banking-dependent assistance for small businesses, due to cannabis' status as a Schedule I controlled substance.
The Bureau is currently accepting requests for fee relief. Licensee fee deferrals may be requested for any license expiring between July 1, 2020 and August 31, 2020. With a deferral, the license fee will be due 60 days from the date of the license expiration. Refunds will not be given for fees that have already been paid.
Additional fee deferrals are not available for licenses that expired before July 1, 2020. License fee payment due dates for fee deferrals already granted are not extended.
How to Request Regulatory Relief:
Licensees must submit a written request for regulatory relief to be considered for a license fee deferral. Here's how to submit your request:
- Submit a complete renewal application to the Bureau.
- Complete the Bureau Notification and Request Form (Form 27), Section A, and note the details of your specific request in the comments section.
- Email your completed Bureau Notification and Request Form to [email protected]. This request must be submitted by an owner of the business, who is currently listed on the license record.
Other Requests for Regulatory Relief
A licensee who is unable to comply with a licensing requirement due to the pandemic may submit a disaster relief request to their respective licensing authority. The disaster relief provisions for each licensing authority can be found in the regulations as follows:
- BCC: California Code of Regulations, title 16, section 5038
- CDFA: California Code of Regulations, title 3, section 8207
- CDPH: California Code of Regulations, title 17, section 40182